A NATURAL BORN LIONESS (Day 5 in lockdown with lions)






RESPECT FOR NATACHA

I cannot even imagine what Nachi used to see, feel and hear during her life in a travel crate in the circus. What did the people who handled her, who passed her from one tourist to the next; minute after minute after minute, smell like? Where they hot and sweaty? Perfumed? Did they smell of other animals, hotdogs and cotton candy? What does human supremacy smell like?

Did they croon to her in soft loving voices or ignore her whilst loudly chatting to each other? What did she hear when they were raising the Big Top or when they had packed up, ready to drive to the next circus location? Men shouting, workers whistling, poles clattering, canvas flapping, metal rattling?

I can guess that she saw new sights all of the time. But wait, did she, or was her crate inside a vehicle whilst they traveled? When the circus decamped, was her cage set between canvas walls in an alleyway of guy ropes? Did all the different tourist hands, eyes and faces blur into an indistinguishable human entity?

I myself went to a circus for my 10th birthday to hold a lion cub. In my childlike world of magical imagination, I wanted nothing more than to meet that lion in person, to connect with it and somehow imbue it with love by it just knowing I had seen it, really seen it and knew it to be a mighty lion. It was a torturous ordeal to drive to the Southern outskirts of Johannesburg, make our way through crowds, sit in a tent smelling of people and watch actors in darned net stockings walking with poodles and foreign children in thread bare lycra contort whilst waiting for the interval when I would meet the lion cub. I had not foreseen that hundreds of others would pour into the make shift aisle in a queue of chattering people all waiting to have a photo with the cub. I was disappointed to the point of wanting to leave. Somehow I had envisaged this being a private moment of great significance between me and the lion. My mother pushed me to continue with my quest as we had come so far to meet the animal. I shyly waited for my turn and embarrassedly sat on the ringside rim next to the lion trainer who briefly plopped the cub in my arms and told me to smile for the camera. I wasted the moment I had with the animal in a flash of inner anger that the camera was there. No sooner had the polaroid been spewed from the camera, then the trained lifted the cub and told me to move over for the next person.

I had not bonded; I had not sent a mental message to the cub, I had not even stroked in gently for 6 seconds. I had smiled on command because the cameraman had chastised me and my mother cajoled me. It turned out to be all about me and the photo. I was so disappointed I gave up on lions that very moment and never looked back at that failed attempt. My life went on without a thought for lions in circuses.

But Natacha and hundreds of other lions go through that ordeal everyday over and over again. Sticky, stinky hands touched her while the eyes of the hands’ owner didn’t gaze upon her in wonder but simply looked at the camera and smiled. None of those people knew that they had just had the distinct privilege of touching Nachi the mighty feline of superior grace, strength and agility. That they had met Nachi, the intelligent, Nachi the indomitable, the most characterful lioness of them all. They walked away without taking note of the marvel that they were still able to walk and were not lying dead and bleeding (which would most certainly be the case if they dared to touch her now).

Natacha is our most agile, active, forever fluid cat. Line and I suspect that she does not sleep. She lives every moment on the go, as if thoroughly enjoying her freedom of movement. Choosing where to walk, which path to take, which bush to find shade under, which tree to scratch and from which rock to admire the view. Natacha lives with Sasha and Moya her boys. The three of them gain great affection from one another. They do as lions do which is to be physically demonstrative and lovingly gregarious. They rub heads, lick each other and thud their humungous weight upon one another in communal heaps.

Nachi Buchi Beautiful Girl has grown into a feline so full of herself, she is the most confident of all the lions at Love lions Alive Sanctuary. When we look back on that puddle of lion in the travel crate that arrived from Spain at OR Tambo in April 2016, and then look at the dynamic powerhouse of lioness we see before us today, it is hard to believe she is the same animal.

Line and I love this girl with all our hearts. We promise to always give her room to roam and vistas to look out on. Our dream for Natacha is to give her more space, as she uses every bit of the 1.7hectares that she currently has. We aspire to creating her a kingdom of her own to explore and expand into.

Our message to the world is, do not support people who use lions for photographic opportunities. Your picture next to a scared, frustrated, semi-sedated cub is stupid anyway. No one of any intellectual or moral integrity looks at your photo and sees anything but a sorry human posing with a distraught and terrorized animal. It is not an ego promoter, it actually shows you up as inferior and needy. Do not fall for the advertising rhetoric, only those trying to take your money think that is okey to use an animal for a selfie. You are being used. The animal is being used.

If you see a cub in captivity, ask questions.
When you indulge in using a big cat for a photo opportunity, whether a cub or an adult, whether inside a cage, a perspex box, a circus or a zoo, realise that being in that photo belittles you once, but every photo, every day, belittles that animal.
If you see that lions are being bated to approach photo booths, Perspex boxes, cages or vehicles for photo opportunities, shout out that it is wrong. How selfish can a photographer be?

Take one look at Natacha and know, lions do not belong in circuses.

#standbynatacha #nolionsinthecircus #nolionsincaptivity #handsoff #takephotosoflionsinthewild #bebraveenoughtofindthemwheretheybelong #captivephotographymenasnothing #Natacha #freedomtomove #naturalbornlioness #5yearsold #respectnatacha








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 STARS FELL INTO OUR LIVES

THE LION WHO HAD BEEN HIT ON THE HEAD

INSPIRED BY A LIONESS